Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Reading Response 5 - The Hows and Whys of Peer Mentoring

I chose "The Hows and Whys of Peer Mentoring" because in class, we have often discussed the benefits of peer mentoring and other peer activities, but rarely have gone into what those benefits are and how they have helped not only students, but teachers as well.
In the article, the authors briefly explain some of the problems they encountered when setting up observations, mainly scheduling issues, but then they mentioned the solutions they came up with.  However, the meat and potatoes of the article described the benefits of peer mentoring on teachers, along with new challenges that emerge from these observations.  The benefits include: observers were exposed to a variety of children (ages, learning styles, needs, etc.) and a variety of teaching methods that have enhanced their teaching experiences, teachers became more focused in the classroom when they were not being observed (they pretended that they were being observed), colleagues acted as a reality check, and teachers really will practice what they teach, so students will see how their teachers struggle to refine their skills applies to the working world.  The new challenges that emerge from such an activity are: effecting change within the school and district based off the observations, having teachers put self-reflection and constant change on the top of their list, working with the broader community on such issues as poverty, child abuse, and other problems, and how do we work to improve the life of our students, if we choose to do so.
I can use this information when I teach by constantly reflecting upon my practices.  I found it interesting that teachers would pretend that they were being observed so that they could focus easier, so I am going to try that.  I will take the advice from when I am observed to heart and try to implement some of the suggestions that may be offered.  I will also step up to try to make change at the school that I am at and will become an advocate for the children who are suffering from any societal "ills."  I can also use this information to improve my teaching techniques as well.  I did not really realize during my first semester of observing classes during CP 1 that I was picking up techniques until I started student teaching.  I think that it is important for students to see a model of someone trying something new and working with peers, so that they can gain a sense of what it is like in the working world.

No comments:

Post a Comment